Flame of Hope
As the bearer of the red flame, you must reach the deepest of a temple plunged into darkness to summon an ancient god and save your land. There are foes who wish to extinguish the flame and bring destruction to your people. You must to everything you can to keep the blaze alive.
Flame of Hope is a mini top-down real-time puzzle game was submitted to Ludum Dare 46 on the theme "Keep it alive". Average playtime is around 1mn30.
- For the latest version made with Godot, download the zip suffixed with "godot-[platform]" for your current platform (recommended). This is the same version as the embedded web version at the top of this page.
- For the original jam version made with Unity, download the zip marked "jam release" for your current platform. There is also a web version there for archiving purpose, but it's not recommended to play on desktop.
You can play with the keyboard alone, or keyboard + mouse, or gamepad.
|Arrow keys / WASD (ZQSD on Azerty)
|D-pad / Left stick
|Swing rod (grab fire and light up torch)
|Space / C
|Face button down (Xbox A)
|Throw fireball (when rod is lit up)
|Shift / X
|Face button left (Xbox X)
|Toggle double size
|Take screenshot to user folder
|F5 / Ctrl+Q / Cmd+Q
v1.1.0 - Quality of life improvements
- Intro: Character automatically enters first room, which is dark and without torches at first until first fire pit is lit (first flame never goes off and cannot be thrown to avoid soft lock)
- Intro: Igniting first fire pit shows Title for 2s. Strip title and version from release to avoid redundancy.
- SFX: Play walk step SFX synced with Walk animation
- Ending: Add static end credits
- Gameplay: Fireball: Increase thrown fireball speed
- Gameplay: Torch: Keep flame forever after all of them have been lit in a room
- Sprite: Fixed outline pixels in Character Swing
- Sprite: Fix character swing animation sprite order for Swing Left
- Animation: Fixed character walk cycle + a few pixels on Idle pose. Adjust Rod Flame position accordingly.
- Animation: Step-by-step “bridge appears” animation with SFX at each step
- Font: Switch to pixel art font: Silver (CC-BY 4.0)
- PFX: Spawn explosion when fireball hits something
- PFX: Play ignite PFX when igniting rod or ignitable props. Fire Pit uses bigger PFX.
- PFX: Add light off PFX on Rod and Torch (elevating smoke)
- Camera: Fix camera staying in place when entering room and immediately going the other way, by separating Room Entrance areas by at least 4px
- Light: Smooth light disc edges using step gradient
- Light: Light masks now flicker scale and disappears with tween scale to zero
- Light: Start with Fire Pit off more darker room, add additive Room Light to Fire Pit
- Level: Room 1 uses bridge before door
- Tilemap: Room 1 now only uses 3 levels of cliff tiles so it appears as deep as the other rooms
- Tilemap: Increased Room Entrance area size and adjusted Room Entrance and Door positions to fit
- Door: Prevent fireball throw behind door by adding invisible blocker between rooms
- Door: Replace proto blue flames with actual door sprite with flame runes engraved
- BGM: Fixed BGM loop. Also cut BGM to fewer beats to save space.
- SFX: Balance SFX volumes
- SFX: Attenuate SFX volume with distance from camera center for things that happen in other rooms (torch lit off)
- SFX: Play light off sound when fireball hits wall
- Intro: Replaced fixed collider at bottom with door that closes once character enters a certain area
- Intro: Do not play BGM until igniting first fire pit
- Ending: Fade out BGM at the end
v1.0.0 - Godot port and first update
After the jam, we ported the game to Godot (it was pretty quick) and improved the game:
- Add 3 rooms
- Add throw flame mechanic
- Add lighting
- Add text tutorial and ending message
- Increase player move speed
v0.1.1 - Jam release
The original release for Ludum Dare 46. The game was made with Unity, and has the following features:
- One room (character can exit the room but nothing happens)
- Swing rod near torch to ignite it, then ignite other torches
Cicero106 - Tileset, FX, music and sound effects
FluentlyS - Character sprites and artworks
komehara - Level design, programming
Silver by Poppy Works (CC BY 4.0)
|23 hours ago
|Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5
|Piskel, Bosca Ceoil, Unity, Audacity, Godot, Aseprite, Bfxr
|Ludum Dare, Ludum Dare 46, Singleplayer
|Creative Commons Attribution v4.0 International
|A few minutes
|Keyboard, Gamepad (any)
|Ludum Dare, Source code, Source code (Unity version)
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.